As the sole dedicated UX Designer at Reach, you’ll be spearheading the design of our native and web apps as well as occasional branding or marketing site projects. We pride ourselves on being a design-first company and prioritizing UX in all of our choices. You will collaborate closely with our design-minded co-founder, our head of client success, and our engineering team to design new features from the ground up and refine existing features and workflows. If you do have engineering skills, you may also be able to dabble in some light coding as well.
- Leadership of the design process for new features including brainstorming, researching, wire-framing, user testing where appropriate, production of finished designs in Figma, presentation, and developer handoff.
- On-call for collaborative conversations and ready to engage with new questions as they arise.
- Maintenance and evolution of our design system and style guide.
- Participation in occasional feedback sessions with users, clients, and stakeholders.
- Possible opportunities to create custom illustrations and animations.
Who You Are
- You are a fast learner who can get caught-up quickly on the existing Reach design, features, and user interaction flows.
- You are responsive and great at communicating your ideas verbally and visually and you are not afraid to engage in debate.
- You are have familiarity with front-end engineering and what it will take to implement your designs.
- You have a commitment to accessibility and inclusivity in your design work.
- You are passionate about progressive politics and comfortable in a deeply political atmosphere. We’re a mission-driven company, and everything we do is guided by political impact and custom-built for the progressive movement. Politics are an integral part of everyday life at Reach.
- Your design skills may be formal or self-taught, but you are always ready to learn new things.
- You are motivated, persistent, and hold yourself to a high standard.
- Legacy designs in Sketch and Abstract
- Front-end code in React.js, React Native (Expo), and React Native for Web
If you aren’t an expert on everything here, don’t worry about it. As long as you are open-minded and game to try new things, we want to hear from you.
Note: Due to the pandemic, we are all working remotely right now, but hope to get back to office when possible. Check out more info about our office and Reach in general on our main Jobs page.
- This position is based in Long Island City, NY but we’re open to a remote arrangement for the right candidate.
- This position will be a part-time independent contractor arrangement. Hours are flexible and we can work around other commitments/gigs.
- We expect an average of 15-20 hours of work per month with some periods exceeding that as specific new features require more focused sprints.
- You will track your time and invoice us at an hourly rate. Rate may be anywhere from $45-$75/hr based on experience and qualifications.
We are committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the activists that we stand with and fight alongside. We especially encourage women, non-binary people, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.