Senior Backend Engineer
As a Senior Backend Engineer on a small team, you’ll be collaborating with our front end engineers, UX designers, and product managers to design, develop, and implement backend solutions powering large-scale web and native applications. You will be joining a small, fast-moving team at this early stage in a new political technology startup and thus you will immediately have significant ownership over our code base and engineering architecture, working closely with our founders on product strategy and execution.
- Scoping, architecting, modeling and implementing multiple new product features
- Getting your hands dirty, writing API endpoints, schemas, data-handling functions, and other code
- Advising and guiding the evolution of our product roadmap, providing feedback on feasibility and estimated timelines for new feature development
- Improving and optimizing deployments and infrastructure to allow Reach to rapidly scale to hundreds of thousands of users with no sacrifice in speed or reliability and efficient use of resources
- Developing and upholding solid engineering standards and practices, and helping junior engineers meet those standards through code review, constructive feedback, and supervision
Who You Are
- You are comfortable across the stack knowing your way around server-side web frameworks, leveraging relational databases to get the job done, provisioning and tweaking web servers, and building scalable APIs in Python.
- You are passionate about progressive politics and comfortable in a deeply political atmosphere. We’re a mission-driven company, and everything we do is guided by political impact and custom-built for the progressive movement. Politics are an integral part of everyday life at Reach.
- You have 5+ years of professional work experience, including leadership positions and ideally in startups where you’ve seen things scale (and break)
- In addition to writing quality software, you also enjoy the other aspects of building a new company: designing features, making good product decisions, programming at all levels of the stack, and the wearing of many hats.
- Server-side development, especially Python
- SQL and transactional databases, especially Postgres
- REST, GraphQL and building scalable APIs
- Developing, releasing, documenting, and supporting backend code
- Multithreaded and asynchronous programming
- Problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
If you aren’t an expert on everything here, don’t worry about it. As long as you are open-minded and game to try new things, we want to hear from you.
- This position is remote but applicant should be able to collaborate with the team between 10am and 6pm ET.
- We are open to a salaried or independent contractor arrangement.
- We offer a salary of $84k
- Salaried positions include health insurance, vision, dental, paid time off and paid family leave.
We are committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the activists that we stand with and fight alongside. We especially encourage women, non-binary people, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.